[LLVMdev] C as used/implemented in practice: analysis of responses

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Jul 1 13:27:00 PDT 2015

On 1 July 2015 at 19:34, Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do you say spin? I'm not making any of this up; there have been
> published cases of bugs creeping into code that had worked correctly for
> years, without any change to the code itself, because a new version of GCC
> started applying a monkey's paw optimisation. That's the sort of thing that
> prompted the survey that started this thread.

And yet, this thread died a long time ago in the GCC list, and it
seems you're not having luck here either.

You could say that it's confirmation bias, since we're all compiler
guys anyway, but go ask on the LKML and you'll find that they pretty
much ask for it.

Just maybe, you thought that this was a much bigger issue that it
really is, and most developers do like when they're told they messed
up, or when things explode in their faces.

If you like the safety of one-vendor buy-in implementation-defined,
maybe you ought to look at Java instead?

cheers,
--renato