[LLVMdev] Restricting instruction pattern matching by register class

Quentin Colombet qcolombet at apple.com
Wed Jul 1 11:34:59 PDT 2015

Hi Tyro,

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 3:33 AM, Tyro Software <softwaretyro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> With a "toy" target with non-homogeneous register banks and specific instructions for copying or summing values between them (remotely similar to a 6502 but with multiple acculmulators and indexes), I'm trying to restrict instruction selection by the register class. However given these (simplified extracts) from the .td definitions:
>
> def aRegs : RegisterClass<"ToyCPU", [i8], 8,
>   (add a0, a1, a2, a3 )>;
>
> def xRegs : RegisterClass<"ToyCPU", [i8], 8,
>   (add x0, x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7 )>;
>
> // Add an index to an accumulator
> // (aN = aN + xO => "ADX aN, xO")
> let Constraints = "$src = $dst" in {
>   def ADX  : ToyInst<0x0600, //opcode
>                      (outs aRegs:$dst), (ins aRegs:$src, xRegs:$src2),
>                      "adx {$dst, $src2}",
>                      [(set aRegs:$dst, (add aRegs:$src xRegs:$src2))]>;
> }
>
> it seemingly ignores the register class, emitting assembler such as "adx a1, a0”.

If you’re emitting this, it looks like to me you have a pattern that allow to produce those or your asm printer is not printing the xRegs correctly.

Could you check the output of (-mllvm) -print-machineinstrs?

After register selection, if you grabbed the right ADX, you should see ADX … ; vregDst:aRegs, vregSrc:aRegs, vregSrc2:xRegs. If that is not the case, your not selection the right thing.

> The only direct commentary that I've found is this thread:
>
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2007-September/010815.html <http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2007-September/010815.html>
>
> which (as I understand) says that register class constraints can only be handled through custom pattern code. Before heading in that direction I'd welcome confirmation that - eight years after that thread - this remains the best approach for restricting register selections?

What are you trying to achieve with this restricted instruction selection by register class?

Cheers,
-Quentin