[LLVMdev] unwind's permanent residence

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Jan 30 13:03:16 PST 2015

On 30 January 2015 at 20:43, Jonathan Roelofs <jonathan at codesourcery.com> wrote:
> I think this dependence should be satisfied by the target system's unwinder,
> whatever that is. If folks want to use this libunwind for their platform,
> that's fine... but we should probably continue to use libgcc_s and libgcc_eh
> on linux when that's the platform's unwinder.

That's precisely the point. People should use unwinders they want, and
libc++abi should be completely agnostic of which one you use.

> +1 for putting it in a separate repo. Separate repos helps keep layering
> nonsense to a minimum.
>
> It would be nice if we had some libunwind-specific tests too. Currently we
> have none, other than the c++ abi tests.  Nick, does Apple have any they're
> willing to upstream?

+1

> Last time we brought this up, there was only partial consensus, and then
> someone arbitrarily declared total consensus (without compelling arguments
> in any particular direction) that we were going to move it to compiler_rt.
> Then the discussion fell on the floor because no-one had time to actually do
> the move. Please, let's not let that happen again this time.

Well, people that didn't mind it in compiler-rt were the last ones to
drop the thread, so it "seemed" like we forced a consensus, but there
really wasn't one. At least, I wasn't convinced, but wasn't bothered
either. Moving to its own repo is also a good solution.

cheers,
--renato