[LLVMdev] Should llvm include a linker?

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 11:05:22 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
> It's not clear to me that this is worthwhile.

I'd think you'd see value when new languages get off the ground faster
because they don't need to think about linking.  Dealing with all the
subtle differences between the various system linkers is no fun.
Maybe that's not a ton of value, but as I mentioned, the integration
is not a ton of work either.

> Right now LLVM has no linker dependency

Correct, a linker dependency is not required.  But by comparison,
binutils ships similar tools to llvm, but it also ships a linker.

-Greg