[LLVMdev] Inconsistencies or intended behaviour of LLVM IR?

Robin Eklind carl.eklind at myport.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 10:28:58 PST 2015

Hello Sean,

Thank you for your reply. I'll give your suggestion to item 6 and 7 a
try tonight. I'll start a compilation and let it run throughout the
night. My laptop (x61s) is 8 years old by know, so compiling LLVM takes
a little time :)

Regarding item 8. I don't know if anyone is using "": in the wild so
fixing the implementation might make sense. If not the documentation
(e.g. the QuoteLabel comment) should be updated to be in line with the
implementation.

I only included item 9 since I stumbled upon it once cross-referencing
the source code with the language specification. Bitrot for a project of
this size is to be expected.

I'm still very interested to hear about the items related to types, e.g.
item 1 and 2. Is there a good reference which describes how type
equality works in LLVM IR? If the source code is the reference, could
someone with the high level knowledge get me up to speed?

Item 1 still confuses me, so I'd be very happy if someone with more
insight could clarify if this is the intended behaviour and if so the
motivation behind it.

As it so happens, I forgot to include item 10 :)

* Item 10 - lli vs. clang output

Using the same source files as before, it seems like lli and clang
treats common linkage and constant variables differently. The following
execution demonstrates the return value after executing i.ll, j.ll, k.ll
and l.ll with lli and clang respectively:

 > $ clang i.ll && ./a.out ; echo $?
 > 37
 >
 > $ lli i.ll ; echo $?
 > 37
 >

 > $ clang j.ll && ./a.out ; echo $?
 > 0
 >
 > $ lli j.ll ; echo $?
 > 42
 >

 > $ clang k.ll && ./a.out ; echo $?
 > 37
 >
 > $ lli k.ll ; echo $?
 > 37
 >

 > $ clang l.ll && ./a.out ; echo $?
 > Segmentation fault
 > 139
 >
 > $ lli l.ll ; echo $?
 > 37

Looking forward to hear more about type equality, or get a pointer as to
where I can read up about it.

Cheers /Robin Eklind