[LLVMdev] LLVM introduces racy read - Unsafe transformation?

sohachak at mpi-sws.org sohachak at mpi-sws.org
Mon Jan 26 08:45:04 PST 2015

Hi,

I agree that the earlier example was already racy due to shared flag
variable. Sorry for the wrong example. Please ignore it.

I have modified the program as follows. The only shared variable is 'a'
and the following is a non-racy program.

int a;

int readA(bool flag) {
 int r=0;
  if(flag) {
    r = a;
 }
return r;
}

void writeA(){
  a = 42;
}

int main() {

 bool flag = false;
 thread first (writeA);
 thread second (readA, flag);

 first.join();
 second.join();

 return 0;
}

The generated LLVM IR

; Function Attrs: nounwind readonly uwtable
define i32 @_Z5readAb(i1 zeroext %flag) #3 {
entry:
  %0 = load i32* @a, align 4
  %. = select i1 %flag, i32 %0, i32 0
  ret i32 %.
}

; Function Attrs: nounwind uwtable
define void @_Z6writeAv() #4 {
entry:
  store i32 42, i32* @a, align 4
  ret void
}

:

In the generated IR load(a) is independent of flag value which is not the
case in the source program. Hence there is an introduced race between
load(a) and store(a) operations when readA() and writeA() runs
concurrently.

Regards,
soham