[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Proposal: pragma for branch divergence

Jingyue Wu jingyue at google.com
Sun Jan 25 12:31:54 PST 2015

Hi Owen and Vinod,

Thanks for sharing the paper! I like the idea a lot. Regarding the paper
itself, Vinod, are the consensual branches (e.g., cbranch.ifnone) you
mentioned in the paper publicly available in PTX ISA?

Owen, could you explain more on the approach of using branch-if-none
instructions in your mind? I believe you have lots of great insights, but I
don't see how cbranch.ifnone instructions directly solve my issue. The
issue I am trying to solve is that certain CFG optimizations transform the
CFG into a "bad" structure which hurts the performance of the compiled code
in the presence of divergent branches. On the other hand, I don't want to
disable jump threading all together because it is still beneficial for
non-divergent branches. As far as I can understand, cbranch.ifnone provides
a fast path so that a warp can jump over the region that no threads in the
warp ever execute. However, it doesn't help the case where the branches are
indeed divergent.

I can vaguely imagine consensual branches may help with my issue by
speculative optimization. Given a code region that contains branches that
may or may not be divergent, the compiler first emit two versions of it:
the original version and the version with jump threading performed. Then,
the compiler uses a set of consensual branches as a runtime switch that
leads the execution to the jump-threaded version only when none of the
branches in the original code region are divergent, i.e.,

if (branches in the code region are divergent) {
  the original code region
} else {
  the jump-threaded code region
}