[LLVMdev] "Expected to drop a reference" assertion thrown

Christian Schafmeister chris.schaf at verizon.net
Fri Jan 23 22:31:56 PST 2015

Hello,

A few days ago I upgraded to the LLVM/clang ToT (on Jan 19th or so)  and I just encountered this assertion.

“Expected to drop a reference”  which is defined in llvm/lib/IR/Metadata.cpp line 136.

I create DebugLoc objects using DebugLog:get(unsigned line, unsigned Col, MDNode *Scope, MDNode *InlinedAt=nullptr)

The DebugLoc objects are wrapped in one of my classes and when instances get destructed the assertion is thrown.

Would anyone have an idea what I’m doing wrong that causes this?

Best,

Christian Schafmeister
Professor
Chemistry Department