[LLVMdev] Behaviour of outs()?

mats petersson mats at planetcatfish.com
Fri Jan 23 10:41:22 PST 2015

So, I'm only "fixing the compiler code" (by setting `shouldClose =
false`), but in essence the code we have is something like this (much
simplified):

 int main(...)
 {
      printf("Some stuff\n");
      use_clang_to_compile_opencl();
      run_opencl();
      ..
      printf("Some more stuff\n");
 }

and then `myprog > file.txt`

In this case, clang and llvm do not output anything (as far as I'm
aware), but the "Some stuff" and "Some more stuff" does not appear in
file.txt. Using strace, my colleague found the problem as `close(1)`
followed by `write(1, "...") = EBADF`.

[The ACTUAL code is a benchmark that is part of our test-code, and the
test is failing]

I'm fairly sure that whether llvm actually uses `outs` or not, it will
be constructed and destroyed based on it's existance. I will have a
look at this in more detail, but the general question still remains:

Should LLVM close `STDOUT_FILENO` in a destructor? I don't think so. If so, why?

--
Mats