[LLVMdev] Behaviour of outs()?

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith dexonsmith at apple.com
Fri Jan 23 10:20:00 PST 2015

> On 2015-Jan-23, at 09:52, mats petersson <mats at planetcatfish.com> wrote:
>
> I was just fixing a bug that was caused by `stdout` being closed
> before the runtime has done `fflush(stdout)` [or however this is
> implemented in the runtime].
>
> The cause of this seems to be that `outs()` returns a static object
> created from `raw_fd_stream(STDOUT_FILENO, true)` - the `true` being
> the `shouldClose` parameter.
>
> Surely LLVM is not supposed to close `stdout` as part of its operations?

Looks like this was added in r111643:

commit 5d56d9df928c48571980efe8d4205de8ab557b7c
Author: Dan Gohman <gohman at apple.com>
Date:   Fri Aug 20 16:44:56 2010 +0000

    Make outs() close its file when its stream is destructed, so that
    pending output errors are detected.

    git-svn-id: https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk@111643 91177308-0d34-0410-b5e6-96231b3b80d8

Certainly looks intentional.  Comment in the code is:

    // Delete the file descriptor when the program exits, forcing error
    // detection. If you don't want this behavior, don't use outs().

I don't really have an opinion on whether this is a good idea, but it
does suggest that any use of `outs()` in `lib/` is a bug.

$ git grep -l 'outs()' -- lib/
lib/ExecutionEngine/Interpreter/ExternalFunctions.cpp
lib/IR/GCOV.cpp
lib/Support/CommandLine.cpp
lib/Support/FormattedStream.cpp
lib/Support/TargetRegistry.cpp
lib/Support/raw_ostream.cpp
lib/Target/CppBackend/CPPBackend.cpp

All of these cases seem to be for outputting help text of some sort.  But
probably they should be passed a reference to a `raw_ostream`, so that the
caller gets to choose whether or not to use `outs()`.

Were you hitting one of these?