[LLVMdev] Another struct-return question

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Thu Jan 22 13:56:21 PST 2015

On 01/20/2015 12:45 PM, Reid Kleckner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Rodney M. Bates <rodney_bates at lcwb.coop <mailto:rodney_bates at lcwb.coop>> wrote:
>
>     1)  Larger structs are returned differently, via memcpy.  Do
>          these methods of returning struct values show through in
>          the ultimately generated machine code?  It seems hard to
>          imagine that, of the many different target code generators
>          in llvm, there would not be at least some with standardized
>          ABIs that differ in such respects.  Does llvm make target-
>          dependent transformations for different targets to match
>          their ABIs?  Or do I have to do that at the level of generating
>          llvm IR?
>

> LLVM handles the low-level ABI details like what registers to use for arguments, but frontends unfortunately need to handle lots of ABI issues around struct passing. LLVM isn't really responsible for transforming IR to make it match any particular ABI.
>
>     2)  To correctly return the value using a bitcast, as in the example, the
>          front end has to independently and correctly duplicate the layout that
>          llvm will produce.  This seems both very fragile and difficult to
>          diagnose when it fails.  My front end already does record layout, but
>          I had previously decided, after a discussion on this list, that it was
>          better to let llvm do it.  Any advice on the best way here?
>

> Personally, I wouldn't recommend letting LLVM do struct layout. I would recommend creating high-level LLVM struct types, but the frontend should use packed struct types to precisely control the layout. In that way, the frontend can still make assumptions about the exact layout in memory. Make sense?

So, if I build the llvm struct type with packed attribute, will it just put every field in the
next available bit?  I see the two ways of accessing fields (GEP) and insertvalue/extractvalue
both identify the field with a field sequence number, so I would have to be sure I could control
the way llvm laid the struct out.

--
Rodney Bates
rodney.m.bates at acm.org