[LLVMdev] RFC: Missing canonicalization in LLVM

Smith, Kevin B kevin.b.smith at intel.com
Wed Jan 21 15:06:13 PST 2015

define void @f(float* %value, i8* %b) {
entry:
  %0 = load float* %value, align 4
  %1 = bitcast i8* %b to float*
  store float %0, float* %1, align 1
  ret void
}

define void @g(float* %value, i8* %b) {
entry:
  %0 = bitcast float* %value to i32*
  %1 = load i32* %0, align 4
  %2 = bitcast i8* %b to i32*
  store i32 %1, i32* %2, align 1
  ret void
}

I don’t think these are equivalent representations.  The one with the float loads and stores has the potential of FP exceptions
both during the load and during the store, depending on what exact instruction set is in use.  For example, floating point loads when done with x87, aren’t even guaranteed of giving the same bit pattern when using due to signaling Nans potentially being converted into quiet Nans by the fld instruction.

Thus, I don’t think this is an example of a missing canonicalization, nor even a legal one in all circumstances. But maybe there is a subtlety of LLVM IR semantics that I am unaware of.

Kevin B. Smith