[LLVMdev] Marking *some* pointers for gc

Ramkumar Ramachandra artagnon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:00:55 PST 2015

Philip Reames wrote:
> There's lots of room to experiment with a gc-leaf function attribute, and -
> in particular - the inference of such.

I'm not sure how this would help: do you have optimizations that we
can apply specifically to gc-leaf functions?

> Having said all that, I'm really curious why this matters to you.

While refactoring my code to use statepoints, I noticed that I was
alloca'ing things like global string pointers, while malloc'ing things
like arrays; but since my language is untyped, I was boxing them up in
a malloc'ed structure. The problem doesn't affect me in practice
because I'm always passing around boxed objects, but I was wondering
if others who are doing typed languages would need an addrspaceany.

You don't see the need for it, so I suppose the discussion is closed
until someone does.