[LLVMdev] Can we establish layering for the LLD libraries? Current state is a bit of a mess...

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Jan 20 16:19:05 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <garious at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chandler,
>
> > Let's start with the purely link-level dependencies encoded in the CMake
> build
>
> I've been playing around a bit with this.  Looks like we can solve
> most of the issues by dissolving lldReaderWriter.
> Reader.cpp/Writer.cpp go into lldCore and the rest go into lldDriver.
> I don't know if that makes conceptual sense, but it's what breaks the
> cyclic dependencies.

Does that break just the *link time* dependencies?

If you form a DAG of cross-library header inclusion and a DAG of the link
time dependencies, they should be compatible, and that's the layering we
should use.

I don't know much about LLD -- maybe it would help for you to describe the
DAG you're envisioning?