[LLVMdev] Bug in InsertElement constant propagation?

Raoux, Thomas F thomas.f.raoux at intel.com
Tue Jan 20 13:41:19 PST 2015

So right now the constant is converted to a float using convertToFloat (which uses bitCasttoAPInt) so the original float value is fine but then when it gets passed around it may change.

if (ConstantFP *CFP = dyn_cast<ConstantFP>(C)) {
      if (CFP->getType()->isFloatTy()) {
        SmallVector<float, 16> Elts;
        for (unsigned i = 0, e = V.size(); i != e; ++i)
          if (ConstantFP *CFP = dyn_cast<ConstantFP>(V[i]))
            Elts.push_back(CFP->getValueAPF().convertToFloat()); --> Here the copy of float may change the raw value
          else
            break;
        if (Elts.size() == V.size())
          return ConstantDataArray::get(C->getContext(), Elts);
      }

Yes what I have in mind is to provide a constructor taking Constant* as parameter which would store the data in the raw format as it is intended for ConstantDataVector/ConstantDataArray.

Thomas