[LLVMdev] Howdy + GIT

Ronan KERYELL ronan at keryell.fr
Fri Jan 16 11:15:58 PST 2015

    Erik> Reid Spencer wrote:

    >> Convert to GIT

    Erik> I am surprised noone has mentioned the one of the biggest
    Erik> advantages of Git which is proper author attribution for
    Erik> non-core and drive-by patch contributors.

+1

And this is where svn does not scale. The only way I know to do it with
SVN is to add write access to the real contributor (Hey Chris! Can you
give me write accesses to the LLVM-related repository???) or to use
privileged access to the repository to do a
  svn propset svn:author ...
but I do not remember the details, since I am no longer a serious svn
user for almost a decade.

But in the last case, that means rewriting history from the point of
view of the git-svn gateway in use and you can imagine the havoc going
this way... :-(

    Erik> As for all the reason why the LLVM project does not use Git, I
    Erik> wonder why large complex projects like the Linux kernel, Wine,
    Erik> MinGW-w64, GHC and many many others don't seem to have any
    Erik> major problems using Git.

Because these projects *chose* to use git. :-)
Of course the Linux case is special since git was designed as *the* tool
to host Linux development... :-)
--
  Ronan KERYELL.