[LLVMdev] Howdy + GIT

Jeremy Lakeman Jeremy.Lakeman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 00:24:55 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 5:44 AM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>
wrote:

> Welcome back! ;]
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Reid Spencer <reid at reactific.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello LLVMers,
>>
>> It has been a while (8 years?) since I’ve been involved with LLVM but I’m
>> considering picking it up again. My recent review of the code base has led
>> me to wonder if it isn’t time to update the code base, specifically:
>>
>>    - Convert to GIT
>>
>> I looked at this, and my conclusion was that it would provide essentially
> no benefit over svn + git mirrors + git-svn, while requiring *substantial*
> work to ensure we end up with a clean, linear master history. Within the
> community there has been long standing strong desire to continue to have
> linear master history. Things like push and merge make the incremental
> development and post-commit review process substantially harder.

None of that is insurmountable. Though "out of the box" tools in git don't
support that use case trivially, it certainly isn't impossible.

A hook script to make sure master doesn't allow pushing any merge commits.
A script to [fetch, rebase / cherry-pick, push] instead of a simpler push
command and you're done.
Heck, it should be possible to write a hook script to run on the server
that resolves trivial rebase's automatically.

But I doubt we could be bothered....