[LLVMdev] question about enabling cfl-aa and collecting a57 numbers

Nick Lewycky nlewycky at google.com
Thu Jan 15 13:26:44 PST 2015

On 15 January 2015 at 13:10, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:

> Yes.
> I've attached an updated patch that does the following:
>
> 1. Fixes the partialalias of globals/arguments
> 2. Enables partialalias for cases where nothing has been unified to a
> global/argument
> 3. Fixes that select was unifying the condition to the other pieces (the
> condition does not need to be processed :P). This was causing unnecessary
> aliasing.

Consider this:

void *p = ...;
uintptr_t i = p;
uintptr_t j = 0;
for (int a = 0; a < sizeof(uintptr_t); ++a) {
  j = i >> (sizeof(uintptr_t) - a - 1) ? 1 : 0;
  j <<= 1;
}
void *q = j;

alias(p, q) isn't NoAlias. (Okay, it kinda is in C++, but not in the
equivalent LLVM IR. Please don't make me rewrite my example in LLVM IR.)

Nick