[LLVMdev] Howdy + GIT

Josh Klontz josh.klontz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:29:18 PST 2015

Speaking only as a very minor contributor to LLVM, a move to GitHub would
be fantastic. My current workflow involves using LLVM as a
git-submodule/cmake-subdirectory. While I would eventually like to move to
using the official releases (and remove LLVM as a submodule), in practice
I've found that I run into enough small issues that I need to stick to
master. Thus, after identifying+fixing a minor issue in my LLVM submodule,
my workflow looks like:

1. Clone LLVM SVN repo
2. Copy patch to SVN
3. Review documentation for submitting a patch to Phabricator for review
4. Submit patch and CC mailing list

Whereas with GitHub it could be:
1. Send pull request and @mention appropriate people

Perhaps it's just that I don't have enough practice with the current review
process, but in my past experience, the time needed to "package" my patch
for review has been roughly proportional to the time required to make the
code changes!

v/r,
Josh