[LLVMdev] Howdy + GIT

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Thu Jan 15 10:38:53 PST 2015

Hello again! :)

I just wanted to note that many of us are already using the official git
mirror at http://llvm.org/git/llvm.git and there are other unofficial git
mirrors on github. Chapuni even has an all-in-one LLVM git repo at
https://github.com/chapuni/llvm-project for easy git bisection.

While many people appreciate the local workflows that git enables, I think
as collaborators we appreciate the simple, strictly linear history model
that the upstream LLVM SVN repo enforces.

I also think the repository granularity is fine enough today. It is already
a challenge for me to keep LLVM, Clang, LLDB, LLD, compiler-rt, and libc++
in sync, and bisecting across them is hard.

In terms of better collaboration tools, I think my biggest pain points have
been:
- Bugzilla isn't the best issue tracker anymore
- Occasional downtime for llvm.org and mailing lists
- Buildbot mail is spammy and inaccurate, but github doesn't help much here
either

As far as code sharing/review tools go, I think Phabricator is doing a
pretty good job.

At the end of the day, I don't think my pain points add up to enough to
make it worth switching any infrastructure.