[LLVMdev] Should I commit "IR: Move MDLocation into place" before or after 3.6 branch?

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:41:32 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith <
dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:

> > On 2015-Jan-14, at 11:26, Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:
> >

> >> On Jan 14, 2015, at 11:12 AM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com>
> wrote:
> >> One small request: Omitting the column field from MDLocation if it is 0
> is fine, because it won’t make it into the line table. Omitting the line if
> it is 0 is not, because it gives the wrong impression that the line is
> being ignored, which is not the case. Line 0 will be emitted in the line
> table and has special semantics (Line 0 in DWARF may be used to mark
> compiler-generated code that has no corresponding source line number).
> >>
> >> I don't know - I think I might be OK with it being implicitly zero (I
> think that's the column behavior - if the column is never set it's just
> zero in the line table? (which is "no specific column") - that seems
> consistent with zero line ("no actual line in the source code”))
> >
> > The difference is that column 0 won’t be emitted into the line table,
> but line 0 will be — which is why I think it would less misleading to
> mirror this behavior in the IR.
>
> What about this:
>
>   - Still have `MDLocation(scope: !0)` imply `line: 0`.
>   - Change printout to include `line:` even when it's `0`.
>
> There's a sane default, so we shouldn't have to specify it.
> However, the value is important and relevant, so the assembly
> writer *does* print it out.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> (Frankly I still prefer `line: 0` being omitted, but it did
> seem kind of funny when I was updating tests that CHECK for
> `line: 0` that they now check for `MDLocation(scope:`, so I
> guess on balance I'm indifferent here.)

I'm pretty much in agreement with you on all counts there.

Omitting it is important for easy of writability of test cases.

I'm not sure it'll substantially hinder readability to have it omitted, so
I'm not in any hurry to have it print by default - but perhaps others feel
more strongly.