[LLVMdev] RFC: Another go at a cross compiler config file. (with an example using clang to compile for Windows on Linux)

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Mon Jan 12 14:58:30 PST 2015

On 01/12/2015 01:18 PM, David Chisnall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did this make it into review / commit?  It's probably too late for 3.6 if it didn't, but I'd love to see it in 3.7.  It would also be nice if this support could be something a bit more general in LLVM, rather than specifically in clang, so that other llvm tools (e.g. llvm-objdump) could take advantage of a similar format for target description files if they need something more than just the triple argument.
>
> David

Hi David,

When I posted that there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm for the approach. I
am using it but people thought it would complicate the driver and didn't
like the fact that a file might need to be read each time the compiler
is invoked (it doesn't really require that a file be read, the YAML can
be compiled in, but anyway).

I still think the approach is useful, so after I saw your post I made
another example that makes clang a Windows cross compiler using the
MinGW linker and libraries. I've posted it here:
http://ellcc.org/blog/?p=23077

I like the idea of making it more general and allowing it to be used for
other LLVM utilities.

-Rich