[LLVMdev] Heads up, nuking a feature of ValueHandle

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Jan 8 16:02:47 PST 2015

ValueHandle has this lovely feature:

  // A subclass may want to store some information along with the value
  // pointer. Allow them to do this by making the value pointer a
pointer-int
  // pair. The 'setValPtrInt' and 'getValPtrInt' methods below give them
this
  // access.
  PointerIntPair<Value*, 2> VP;

It was originally used by Metadata, but thanks to Duncan's work, it is no
longer needed and has no in-tree usage. IT also adds a lot of complexity to
the whole thing. I'm planning to remove it.

Initially, I thought it might be likely that folks are using this
out-of-tree and was worried about removing it. But Richard and others have
convinced me that I'm probably wrong. I don't really see how it could be
used. Sending this thread so you can shout if this breaks you, and i'll
quickly re-instate it so we can figure out what to do.

-Chandler