[LLVMdev] LLD Standalone CMake build

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 14:29:52 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <garious at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping to revive the LLD standalone CMake build.

Why?

It adds complexity and cost to everyone who has to touch the build system.

Note that even if you're willing to "maintain" the standalone build, that
doesn't *really* fix the problem. Lots of folks will need to make changes
to the build system, and these types of different supported usage scenarios
make these much harder to think about, enact, and test.

Having to build and test and install using 3 or 4 different combinations of
standalone and not standalone is a complete nightmare. I'm pretty strongly
opposed to more standalone build support unless developers on the project
have really serious problems with IDE scaling.

Honestly, if we could fix the IDE scaling, I'd rip all of the standalone
build support out of all of our CMake builds.