[LLVMdev] NEON intrinsics preventing redundant load optimization?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Jan 5 02:24:26 PST 2015

On 5 January 2015 at 10:14, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I don’t recall seeing anything about pointer dereferencing, but it may have the same issues. I’m a bit hazy on endianness issues with NEON anyway (in terms of element numbering, casts between types, etc) but it seems like all the smartphone platform ABIs are defined to be little-endian so I haven’t spent too much time worrying about it.

Tim is right, this can be a potential danger, but not more than other
endian or type size issues. If you're writing portable code, I assume
you'll already be mindful of those issues.

This is why I said it's still a problem, but not a critical one. Maybe
adding a comment to your code explaining the issue will help you in
the future to move it back to NEON loads/stores once this is fixed.

cheers,
--renato