[LLVMdev] Writing my own debugger... use __builtin_frame_address or is there something better?

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Sun Jan 4 09:56:12 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 05:39:30PM +0000, John Smith wrote:
> If theres no such switch then... what is considered the "right approach
> with LLVM" to creating your own debugger?

Depends on what problem you are trying to solve. Emitting appropiate
#line data and naming the CC variables as in your original language
would help improve the experience. If that is not good enough, I'm not
sure if there is any alternative to emitting IR directly with the
associated tighter control about debug data getting created.
Alternatively, you could try to hook into lldb.

Joerg