[LLVMdev] RFC: PerfGuide for frontend authors

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sat Feb 28 08:53:35 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Thanks!

> > 1. Make sure that a DataLayout is provided (this will likely become
> > required in the near future, but is certainly important for
> > optimization).
> >
> > 2. Add nsw/nuw/fast-math flags as appropriate
> >
> > 3. Add noalias/align/dereferenceable/nonnull to function arguments
> > and return values as appropriate
> I was thinking of a more general: use metadata and function
> attributes.
>
> I don't want to end up duplicating content from the Lang ref here.  I
> was thinking that this page should cover the things you can't learn
> by just reading langref.

I agree, I don't want to duplicate the LangRef, but I think that mentioning some of the more-important attributes and metadata for optimization is useful. Unless you read the LangRef quite carefully, and also understand what the optimizer does, it is easy to miss which things are relevant to optimizations. I'd mention them here, and let people look at the LangRef for the definitions.

> > 4. Mark functions as readnone/readonly/nounwind when known
> > (especially for external functions)
> >
> > 5. Use ptrtoint/inttoptr sparingly (they interfere with pointer
> > aliasing analysis), prefer GEPs
> >
> > 6. Use the lifetime.start/lifetime.end and
> > invariant.start/invariant.end intrinsics where possible
> Do you find these help in practice?  The few experiments I ran were
> neutral at best and harmful in one or two cases.  Do you have
> suggestions on how and when to use them?

Good point, we should be more specific here. My, admittedly limited, experience with these is that they're most useful when their properties are not dynamic -- which perhaps means that they post-dominate the entry, and are applied to allocas in the entry block -- and the larger the objects in question, the more the potential stack-space savings, etc.

> I am using invariant.load, tbaas is constant flag, and a custom hook
> for zero initialized memory from my allocation routines.

We should discuss this custom hook -- perhaps we'd also benefit from something similar upstream (from calloc, etc.). [Different thread however, I suppose].

 -Hal