[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Tobias Grosser tobias at grosser.es
Tue Feb 24 16:36:11 PST 2015

Hi Chris,

I meanwhile updated cmake on my buildbot to 3.2 to make sure this
individual bot does not block the update.

I really do not want to block progress, but agree with Mehdi that
we should be a little careful with increasing the minimal cmake version.
If you believe the cost is understood and there is an important feature
that requires us to pay this cost, I will not block this version
increase (even though I do not see this feature up to 2.8.12).

@Sylvestre: Would an update to cmake 2.8.12.2 make it harder for you to
switch your wheezy package builds to cmake?

On 24.02.2015 23:21, Chris Bieneman wrote:
> My list of useful features in newer CMake versions, that I would like to
> see used:

[...]

> Like I said, I actually don’t care that much about the move to 2.8.12.2,
> but I care very strongly about us not being tied to the “stable” version
> of <insert Linux distro>, which may or may not update frequently. I’m
> not thrilled about tying ourselves to Ubuntu, but they at least ship LTS
> releases every two years. Debian release cycles are less predictable,
> and WAY more out of date.

Debian had (with one exception) a two year release cycle similar to Ubuntu:

	https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases#Release_statistics

At the moment we are very close to the next stable release which
seems to be expected somewhere in March/April this year. It will ship
with cmake 3.x.

Cheers,
Tobias

P.S: http://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html needs updating when you change the