[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Mehdi Amini mehdi.amini at apple.com
Tue Feb 24 11:13:17 PST 2015

> On Feb 24, 2015, at 9:33 AM, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 24, 2015, at 8:45 AM, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:
>>
>> On 09.02.2015 20:12, Chris Bieneman wrote:
>>> It came up on another thread that our current minimum required CMake version 2.8.8, has some bugs that cause issues when building with MSVC + Ninja, and one potential solution was to raise the minimum required version of CMake.
>>>
>>> CMake 3.0 is now 6 months old and CMake 3.1 has been released. I would like to propose moving our minimum required CMake version to 3.0.
>>>
>>> I’ve attached patches to enforce the change in case anyone wants to test it out.
>>>
>>> Thoughts/comments/concerns/objections?
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> this update broke my cmake LLVM+Polly buildbot (to my knowledge most other bots use autoconf). I reverted this temporarily to avoid the buildbot noise (this comes a little late, as I was traveling the last days).
>
> Actually at this point I think most bots are on CMake. The green dragon bots are all CMake, Galina and Takumi’s bots are at least partially on CMake.
>

>> The buildbot is based on the latest debian stable (wheezy), which comes with cmake 2.8.9. Is 2.8.9 enough to fix the bug?
>
> No. The bug requires 2.8.12.1. I really wanted 3.0, but Chandler requested 2.8.12.2 because it was the version in the latest Ubuntu LTS.
>
> I’m going to put on my “unpopular opinion” hat for a second. I don’t think it is reasonable for us to limit our CMake version to the lowest common denominator of all Linux distributions. I really think the Linux developers should just do what I do on OS X and build it from source. Building CMake is really simple and fast.
>
> This is kinda a bit of a sore point for me because it turns out that our CMake goop for cross-compiling is pretty nasty, and there are features in CMake 3.x that make it a lot better. Unfortunately using the new features while supporting CMake 2.8.x would only make our goop goopier.

How does raising from 2.8.9 to 2.8.12.1 helps? It won’t bring the 3.x features that you’d like to have.

As I understood it, bumping the version to 2.8.12.1 is motivated by a bug related to "MSVC + Ninja” (http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=14492 )

If this is indeed a bug in CMake that affects one very specific platform/configuration, I don’t see this alone as a justification to raise the requirement for all the platform.
It is up to the user of the platform not to use a CMake version that is buggy for their platform/configuration.

Now you may have other good reasons to bump the CMake requirement but it is not clear from this thread.

—
Mehdi