[LLVMdev] Jump Theading/GVN bug - moving discussion to llvm-dev

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Tue Feb 24 11:06:46 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com>
wrote:

>  Whatever we end up deciding, I think we do need to preserve the ability
> of a language frontend to generate complete garbage in the form of
> unreachable code.  If we decide to move in the direction of disallowing the
> production of unreachable code, we need to write a canonicalization pass
> that runs first thing in the pipeline.  A frontend should be able to
> produce unreachable code.  This enables important simplifications in the
> frontend.

Sure.
Note that we essentially already do this in the very first actual
optimization pass that gets run both in IPO mode and not IPO mode.

I happen to agree with Chandler, but I don't have a strong opinion either
> way.  His testing point in particular is one that resonates with me.  I'll,
> in practice, take testability over verification any day.  :)

So, in the current world of "unreachable code can contain  anything", it's
not simply testable, contrary to chandler's assertion (while the reverse,
"do not produce unreachable code" is actually pretty easily testable)
If we change that, yes, it becomes a much more tractable problem.