[LLVMdev] [RFC] When can libc++ "officially" support linux?

Eric Fiselier eric at efcs.ca
Fri Feb 20 18:48:18 PST 2015

Hi All,

Currently libc++ does not list linux as a supported platform. This
should change. I think we should be able to list linux (with
libc++abi) as a supported configuration. but there are some issues I
would like to see resolved first.

1. We should add CMake support for building libc++ against a static
libc++abi. If libc++ is linked to a shared libc++abi the resulting
library can only be used when libc++abi is manually linked by the
user. We should strongly prefer building libc++ against a static
libc++abi on linux.

2. We need to clarify how libstdc++ and libsupc++ can be used as
libc++'s ABI library and explicitly define the level of support for
these configurations. Are there any people using this functionality?
These configurations have been broken for GCC >= 4.9.2 and I haven't
heard any complaints. I would like to drop these configurations all
together.

3. Tests should be added that verify the exception types in libc++ and
libstdc++ are ABI compatible and can be thrown between libraries.

Is there anything else that needs to be done before libc++
"officially" supports linux?

/Eric