[LLVMdev] Questions before moving the new debug info hierarchy into place

Frédéric Riss friss at apple.com
Fri Feb 20 09:44:22 PST 2015

> [...]
>       of rather heavier wrappers around `MDTuple`), and update
>       `DIBuilder` to generate the right things.
>     - transition-testcases.patch: Upgrade of testcases, entirely
>       generated from the upgrade script (so far).
>     - upgrade-specialized-nodes.sh: Script to upgrade LLVM assembly.
>
> (Feel free to have a look, but I haven't updated LangRef, I don't quite
> have `make check` passing, and I haven't even started on `make
> check-clang` (I imagine that'll all be done by hand).)
>
> There are two outstanding issues I'd like some feedback on.
>
> Pretty-printing the flags
> =========================
>
> I've noticed the `flags:` field is *harder* to read in the new assembly:
>
>     !MDDerivedType(flags: 16384, ...)
>
> than the pretty-printed comments in the old:
>
>     !{!"...\\0016384", ...} ; ... [public] [rvalue reference]
>
> I don't want to regress here.
>
> In `DIDescriptor`, the flags are described in an enum bitfield:
>
>     FlagAccessibility     = 1 << 0 | 1 << 1,
>     FlagPrivate           = 1,
>     FlagProtected         = 2,
>     FlagPublic            = 3,
>     FlagFwdDecl           = 1 << 2,
>     FlagAppleBlock        = 1 << 3,
>     FlagBlockByrefStruct  = 1 << 4,
>     FlagVirtual           = 1 << 5,
>     FlagArtificial        = 1 << 6,
>     FlagExplicit          = 1 << 7,
>     FlagPrototyped        = 1 << 8,
>     FlagObjcClassComplete = 1 << 9,
>     FlagObjectPointer     = 1 << 10,
>     FlagVector            = 1 << 11,
>     FlagStaticMember      = 1 << 12,
>     FlagLValueReference   = 1 << 13,
>     FlagRValueReference   = 1 << 14
>
> I think the right short-term solution is to use these names directly in
> assembly, giving us:
>
>     !MDDerivedType(flags: FlagPublic | FlagRValueReference, ...)
>
> This is easy to implement and easy to CHECK against.
>
> Sound good?
>
> (Eventually, I'd like to use the `DW_AT` symbols that each of these
> corresponds to, but `FlagStaticMember` doesn't seem to line up with any
> such `DW_AT` so that will take some refactoring (and I don't think it
> makes sense for that to block moving the hierarchy into place).)
>
> Merging the two types of files
> ==============================
>
> In the old format, we have two types of files -- an untagged file node,
> and a DIFile/DW_TAG_file_type/0x29 which references the untagged node.
>
>     !0 = !{!"path/to/file", !"/path/to/dir"}
>     !1 = !{!"0x29", !0}
>
> In the actual metadata graph, most file references use !0, but in
> DIBuilder !1 is always passed in and the !0 is extracted from it.
>
> I've been planning to merge these into:
>
>     !1 = !MDFile(filename: "path/to/file", directory: "/path/to/dir")
>
> Anyone see a problem with that?  Why?
>
> If the strings are deduplicated elsewhere, that should be fine. (I think I made the change originally to pull out the names because of the duplication I saw in many constructsn needing to reference the file/directory and they all contained the same file/directory)

No specific comments on the approach which seems fine. One question though:

Speaking of deduplication of filenames. I think we discussed that in the early stages of your work, but I just wanted to make sure I remember correctly: the new debug hierarchy will allow to implement specific uniquing behavior, right? So we will be able to tweak MDFile to unique:

!MDFile(filename: "path/to/file", directory: "/path/to/dir")
!MDFile(filename: "to/file", directory: "/path/to/dir/path")

into the same object? I did some work in this area and in the current form it’s not really possible to do cleanly (don’t remember the details here, but I know punted it till we get smart uniquing capability).

Thanks!
Fred