[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] [3.6 Release] RC3 has been tagged

Tom Honermann thonermann at coverity.com
Fri Feb 20 07:54:00 PST 2015

On 02/20/2015 07:40 AM, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 20 February 2015 at 08:31, David Chisnall
> <David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I used to do regular merges from ToT for out of tree projects, now
>> I only do that for our back end (where we actually need ToT
>> features periodically).  For everything else, I just accept the
>> pain of updating once every release or two (or, in a couple of
>> cases, just let the project bitrot).
>
> Do you guys find enough information on the release notes about the API
> changes to ease your migration?

The release notes are great, but we don't rely on them for learning
about API changes.  We rely on them as one source of information about
features added in the release and use that information to guide
prioritizing upgrades.

For API changes, I don't really expect those to be documented (and even
if they were, they would be of relatively little benefit).  We learn
about such changes when we perform upgrades.  When we see build
failures, we research what changed and why, generally by looking at svn
history.  In that respect, good comments on svn commits are extremely
helpful.

Tom.