[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] [3.6 Release] RC3 has been tagged

Tom Honermann thonermann at coverity.com
Thu Feb 19 11:58:50 PST 2015

On 02/18/2015 04:57 PM, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 18 February 2015 at 21:45, Tom Honermann <thonermann at coverity.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, we don't currently have the resources to do so.  When we
>> upgrade, we upgrade to the most recent release and perform testing on top of
>> it.
>
> One safe way of doing so, and would help us without adding much
> efforts to you guys, would be to do that on every major release (*.0),
> report *any* bug, and collect the fixes on the subsequent
> dot-releases.

I would love to do that.  Unfortunately, I'm not the one paying the
bills :)  (I do, and will continue to, lobby my management to keep
current and ensure we report defects and fixes).

The effort isn't always so small for us however.  It has generally taken
us about a month to upgrade and vet a new Clang release.  The Clang
release cadence is faster than ours, so timing isn't always great (not a
complaint, just a reality).  Before we upgrade again, we also have to
port our internal code and build systems to C++11 since Clang now
requires that (again, not a complaint, I'm glad to see Clang using new
language features!)

> This way, you only upgrade to dot-releases, where the compiler is more
> stable and API changes are forbidden. If you mark the most important
> bugs from the major tests as critical to the next dot release, the
> probability that it'll be fixed and back-ported is very high.

Yes, this is pretty much our strategy.  I've been very happy to see the
dot releases being done.

>> Having such issues fixed prior
>> to the release would be a benefit to us.  We don't expect the releases to be
>> perfect.
>
> The proposal above would be a good compromise to both of us. :)

I agree.

Tom.