[LLVMdev] Moving towards a singular pointer type

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 09:12:28 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Colin LeMahieu <colinl at codeaurora.org>
wrote:

> It’s a good point it wouldn’t help with the textual test churn.  It seemed
> like a good way to isolate issues related to depending on the
> pointed-to-type from issues related to converting to the opaque pointer
> class which might be in a different class inheritance tree and cause
> runtime issues due to dyn_cast failures etc.

Fair point - I think most of those "this is a completely different type"
will probably flush out as outright failures (either asserts, crashes, or
test failures) so that's mostly on me to fix those all up before committing
(or, where possible, I'll put the right changes in ahead of time - since by
the time I reach that point the code /shouldn't/ be caring about those
properties, so the changes will be incremental and easy to review).

>  I don’t have a full picture of what things will break

Neither do I - so I'm happy to have any/all ideas to keep in my toolkit
depending on how it all starts to shake out.

Thanks!

- David