[LLVMdev] [RFC] Progress report on CMake build system's ability to replace autoconf

Jonathan Roelofs jonathan at codesourcery.com
Fri Feb 13 17:35:10 PST 2015

+alexey

On 2/5/15 12:47 PM, Jonathan Roelofs wrote:

> On 2/3/15 12:08 PM, Chris Bieneman wrote:
>> Here's the outstanding work and my (not necissarily correct) view of
>> the status and importance of each one:
>>
>> * Bug 14109 - CMake build for compiler-rt should use just-built clang
>>    - Still waiting for patches, I don't think this is a blocker

I Just discovered LLVM_BUILD_EXTERNAL_COMPILER_RT implemented by Alexey
in https://www.mail-archive.com/cfe-commits@cs.uiuc.edu/msg91501.html
This causes compiler-rt to be built with the just-built clang. For my
purposes, this unblocks dropping autoconf (aside from some internal
hassles with getting cmake built, but that's on me to deal with).

I think it would be better if we built that way by default. What blocks
flipping the switch so that the "build with the host compiler" behavior
becomes opt-in? I see a note that this flag blocks using the Ninja
generator: http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=14771 Can that be worked
around? Is there anything else?

Cheers,

Jon