[llvm-dev] get instruction destination register

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Dec 19 14:02:05 PST 2015

Hi Fami,

On 19 December 2015 at 11:34, fateme Hoseini via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> I get my machine instruction, but I don't know how to get dest reg. I looked
> at MachineInstr.h but couldn't find it out.

You probably want to iterate through the instruction's operands
(MachineInstr::operands_begin/end) looking for defines ("isDef") of
the registers you care about. Some instructions will write multiple
registers (e.g. ldrd), and the information is in a certain sense
approximate (an empty inline asm block may be marked as writing some
registers, but not actually do anything).

A call instruction "BL" also gets marked with the registers the
function uses for return values so that LLVM can track data-flow. You
may or may not want that, if not then looking for non-implicit
(!isImplicit) defines might be a better approximation.

Finally, you probably have to be aware of subregisters even for GPRs,
the ARM-mode ldrd instructions can only take sequential pairs, which
LLVM models as a separate register called something like R0_R1.

> Also I want to know which instructions to excluse from this routine, for
> example str instruction does not write to a dest reg or branch instruction.

That's why you should check isDef for the ones you're after.

Cheers.

Tim.