[llvm-dev] How do I get ABI information to a subclass of MCELFObjectTargetWriter::GetLocType?

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Dec 19 03:03:42 PST 2015

> > That sounds like a good plan for your problem and I should be able to use it to fix a couple of the details in N32 such as private label prefixes.
> This is what I was suggesting to you originally.

Yes, and while I agree that it fixes this specific problem it also fails to address the most important problem that that the Trouble with Triples thread was created to resolve (triple ambiguity). From my perspective, this is just plumbing minutiae and was an example to illustrate the real problem that unfortunately turned into a bit of a distraction from it. Additionally, solving that triple ambiguity problem changes the best way to solve the plumbing problem and so I've been reluctant to take the roundabout route because of the unnecessary churn it causes in the public C++ and C API's.

The reason I've been so insistent on TargetTuple/MCTargetMachine-like solutions is that they give me the tools I need to fix the triple ambiguity problem in a way that doesn't break the principle of LLVM supporting all targets in all builds. They have some other nice benefits too but the motivation is solving triple ambiguity.

>From our discussions on-list, off-list, and in-person, I believe we're close to agreeing on the MCTargetMachine patches. Do you share this opinion? As far as I know, the only remaining issue is that you want TargetMachine to be a subclass of MCTargetMachine whereas I don't want to introduce the inheritance diamond this would cause* and prefer a has-a relationship. If possible, I'd like to go ahead with the has-a approach and consider converting to is-a later. It shouldn't be too difficult to switch to is-a if it turns out to be a workable solution and allows me to make progress on the triple ambiguity problem. The snag with this is that it would cause some churn for users of createTargetMachine() in the event that we did switch to is-a. Do you think we're close to a (possibly conditional) LGTM on the three initial patches?

*This part of the discussion happened off-list so for the benefit of the list: The root of my concern with is-a is that we have <Target>MCTargetMachine is-a MCTargetMachine, and <Target>TargetMachine is-a TargetMachine. If we have <Target>TargetMachine is-a <Target>MCTargetMachine then we also need TargetMachine is-a MCTargetMachine because of some existing code. These four relationships form an inheritance diamond.

> > > Daniel: Thanks for your detailed response. I had seen the discussion from
> > > earlier this year, but when I read it, I didn't expect it would be so difficult to
> > > get just one bit of information where I wanted it. :-) Thanks for the heads up
> > > about clang not necessarily setting ABIname. I have at least enough of that
> > > working already that I can generate the appropriate assembly source.
> >
> > Glad I could help. I've been surprised by the difficulty of getting information in the right place too (and getting accurate information).
> >
> > > I don't know if the object lifetime of MCTargetOptions allows a reference to
> > > be kept around, so the information extraction in the MCAsmBackend
> > > subclass constructor may be required.
> >
> > It looks like MCTargetOptions do live long enough in LLVM's tools but I think that's a coincidence rather than the intent. It's probably best to take a copy in the MCAsmBackend.
>
> No, the intent is that things like TargetOptions and MCTargetOptions exist the life of the program.
>
> -eric

I'll take your word for the intent but I ought to mention that the code does not appear to require that the API user preserve the MCTargetOptions object it gives to the create*() methods.

MCTargetAsmParser and TargetOptions both take a copy of the object and store the copy as a member and AsmPrinter::EmitInlineAsm() takes a temporary copy of it. All other uses are constructors and factories that take a reference argument and then forget about it.

Can you point me at documentation explaining this requirement or any code that keeps a long-term reference to the API users' MCTargetOptions? I might have missed something.