[llvm-dev] RFC: Hotness thresholds in profile header

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 16 21:47:14 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Andy Ayers <andya at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I’ve done similar rankings with profile data and found it worked out pretty
> well.
>

> In my case it was ranking function hotness but the idea was similar: sort by
> weight, compute various percentile cutoff points, and use those to classify.
> I put in some compensation for truly degenerate cases. Consider one
> super-hot function that is 100x the weight of all remaining functions – I’d
> just call that function hot and subtract it out of the distribution and so
> spread a bit of the hotness around elsewhere.

This is probably more important if we only consider function entry
count (to measure hotness). With Easwaran's proposal, the cut-off
computation is based on sum of BB counts (sorted in descending order)
-- the BB count sum approximate the execution time spent in those BBs.
  For instance, if 99.9% of execution time is spent in top 10 BBs, the
rest BBs are pretty much  irrelevant in terms of performance.

thanks,
David