[llvm-dev] What is the percentage of performance increase for test-suite, which can be considered worth patching?

James Molloy via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 11 00:47:57 PST 2015

Hi Min,

Your question assumes that an acceptance criterion for a patch is that the
LLVM test-suite improves. That is incorrect; patches do not need to improve
the test-suite in order to be accepted.

As a community we care about a very diverse range of workloads. Not all of
those (and probably not most!) are represented in the test-suite. What the
test-suite aims to do is cover a range of publicly available benchmarks and
programs to attempt to give a more representative slice of the "real world"
than some other benchmark suites do.

It is very often the case that workloads (be they real world applications
or benchmarks) have a hot, dominating section of code that if it is
optimized well, or in a specific way, the workload improves drastically. It
is not expected that all these possible optimizations would improve tests
in the test-suite. If they do - fantastic, but that's not a blocker.

However, the test-suite can give an indication that a patch is *not* good
in the general case. It has a more diverse set of workloads than any other
suite I've come across, and so can provide a decent indication of how a
patch would behave on "more real world" code than whatever workload you're
targetting. It can tell you if your patch even triggers in real world code,
and can tell you if it regresses.

So regressing the test-suite may block your patch, but improving the
test-suite is not a requirement.

Cheers,

James