[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] Path forward on profile guided inlining?

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 17:22:25 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

I think it will be interesting to see if this causes a net increase or decrease in compile time. Turning off inlining in regions known (suspected) to be cold should decrease compile time overall, and given that the CodeGen parts involved for large functions are really pretty expensive, I think it is still an open question how this will turn out.

 -Hal

> >> Particularly as an intermediate step to parallelize work with the
> >> new pass
> >> manager, this sounds very much worthwhile.
> > Yes, that is exactly the intention -- it can buy pass manager
> > rework
> > more time while unlock lots of pending performance tuning work we
> > plan
> > to do.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > David