[llvm-dev] Allowing virtual registers after register allocation

Smith, Kevin B via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 12:32:36 PST 2015

Whether it’s a hack or not depends on the sizes in question. Existing X86 already has this property for 64 bit, there are registers which simply don't exist
unless the target arch is 64 bit.  If WebASM folks are thinking of allocating down to something like 32 or 64 registers, with maybe a maximum of 128 or 256, then
making some portion of this reserved when a tighter allocation (only coloring to 16 or 32) seems completely doable (and natural) using all existing infrastructure, with nothing
special needed.  If getting into significantly larger numbers, then I can see where this might be considered a hack.  But unless you are talking about multi-thousands,
it does beg the question about what the extra generality is worth compared to the engineering effort to design, implement and support it.