[llvm-dev] persuading licm to do the right thing

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 9 11:48:41 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Preston Briggs via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> A GEP can represent a potentially large tree of instructions.

Seems like all the sub-trees are hidden from optimization;
> that is, I never see licm or value numbering doing anything with them.

Without arguing about the broader point of "we can't eliminate the
*lowered* operations these turn into", the higher level issue of not really
doing much with them  are often just deficiencies in those passes.
There are plenty of those kinds of deficiencies
value numbering also doesn't really value number loads or stores, so would
never discover that a load and an add have the same value, etc.
Smart enough value numbering would understand the equivalence between
various forms of geps.

This won't address the issue of optimizing the lowered form of course.

If I rewrite the GEPs as lots of little adds and multiplies,
> then opt will do a better job (I speculate this happens during lowering).

For some definition of better job. For example,  this has a cost of making
things like AA significant more difficult

Thus it is likely you want the traditional answer, where the high level
form is optimized as well as it can, they are lowered, and then more
optimization is done.