[llvm-dev] Python scripts PEP8 compliance proposal

Kirill Bobyrev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 9 08:15:17 PST 2015

LLVM and Clang have many really helpful scripts written in Python, but
after looking at them I figured out there is no uniform Python Coding
Style across the project, which would keep them consistent.

Some of the scripts [see scan-view script] use deprecated optparse
Python module, some of them [see clang-format-diff.py] have been written
using its replacement (argparse). pep8 code style checking tool is
complaining a lot for many scripts in the project.

I am not really experienced Python coder myself and the project is
mainly written in C++, but I still think that following some widely used
Python Code Style is a great idea. PEP8 compliance seems like a great
idea to me as it is considered to be a good practice in Python projects.

I'd like to convert existing Python code in the project to be PEP8
compliant and clean up deprecated modules usage. You can see a sample
patch for scan-view script here: http://reviews.llvm.org/D15370 (up for
a review).

Would such contribution benefit the community? Is there any chance that
running pep8 checks on the Python scripts in the code as part of unit
testing or just while commiting new Python code would be considered as
an option?

--
Kirill Bobyrev