[llvm-dev] Field sensitive alias analysis?

Dmitry Polukhin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 8 03:38:20 PST 2015

Jeroen, thank you for very useful link with the context. Indeed union cases
are very complicated and I see places in code when TBAA gives up.

Daniel, I completely agree that TBAA has limited power and can solve
relatively simple cases only. So anything more complicated that involves
intermediate variables that points to struct or array elements cannot be
solved by TBAA alone. Differentiating array subscripts also seems like out
of the scope of TBAA but adding type information that this memory assess
accessing array not a random object of given type could be useful.
Therefore TBAA can compliment points-to analysis and sometimes help in
cases when points-to may not have enough information.