[llvm-dev] RFC: New function attribute HasInaccessibleState

Vaivaswatha Nagaraj via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 09:53:38 PST 2015

>Most of the time you don't have the entire call graph information. Imagine
that you are developing a module that is a part of a larger project.
I now understand the concern. It looks to me that we will need to set the
flag by default to all functions whose definitions aren't available
(external), and then propagate from there on. I don't see any optimizations
being inhibited by such a setting, so it should be okay.

>I think we need to go back and look at the underlying use case (as I
understand it): GlobalAA should be able to figure out that calls to
malloc/free don't touch global variables visible to the optimizer. How do
we address this problem?
Yes, this is the primary concern. Most libc functions (including printf,
malloc, free) fall into the same category.

  - Vaivaswatha