[llvm-dev] RFC: New function attribute HasInaccessibleState

Vaivaswatha Nagaraj via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 08:09:23 PST 2015

>what is a non-public state that no-one but you can access? (I’d call that
private).
malloc and free could both use global variables that are defined in libc,
but are inaccessible to the program under compilation.

>if you’re attribute is saying they have some internal state, then malloc()
cannot access the state of free() and vice versa.
Which is why it would be preferable to call it "inaccessible" state rather
than "internal".

>It would prevent to swap two mallocs but not moving freely a malloc with
respect to a free.
No, it would also prevent interchanging the order of malloc and free, since
they both maintain states (which can be shared, but not accessible to the
program under compilation) and the swapping order could result in a
different final state.

>At the cost of some redundancy, I think a new attribute is needed.
@hal. I'm not sure what this implies. Does the semantics of the attribute
in the first mail sound right to you?

> that'd be redefining the semantics of ReadNone. ReadNone allows elision
of a call if its result is unused,
@James.  That right. Optimizations should hereafter (if the proposed
attribute is accepted) be more careful in interpreting ReadNone. If the
call also has HasInaccessibleState, it shouldn't remove the call, even if
the call takes no arguments or its return value isn't, because it could be
modifying some internal state.

  - Vaivaswatha