[llvm-dev] Support token type in struct for landingpad

David Majnemer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 1 23:14:09 PST 2015

While we support 'opaque' types nested within struct types, they are not
exactly battle tested:

$ cat t.ll
%opaque_ty = type opaque

%struct_ty = type { i32, %opaque_ty }

define %struct_ty @f(%struct_ty* %p) {
  %load = load %struct_ty, %struct_ty* %p
  ret %struct_ty %load
}

$ opt -O2 t.ll -S
lib/IR/DataLayout.cpp:623: unsigned int
llvm::DataLayout::getAlignment(llvm::Type *, bool) const: Assertion
`Ty->isSized() && "Cannot getTypeInfo() on a type that is unsized!"' failed.

As a practical matter, I fear nesting 'token' types within struct types
will have similar issues.  Beyond that, the design philosophy behind
'token' is that it is incredibly opaque and permitting it to nest inside a
struct creates scenarios where one might try to GEP to the end of the field
right before the token field in an attempt to examine or manipulate the
token.

Your other recommendation, having landingpad produce a token, is quite
similar to how we've designed catchpad and cleanuppad.  I think that
direction will be quite nice.