[llvm-dev] RFC: alloca -- specify address space for allocation

Joseph Tremoulet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 31 11:44:10 PDT 2015

To clarify one point in case people are accidentally talking past each other with mismatched terminology:

Swaroop in his (ii)/(iii) below and Andy in his response are referring to the distinction between what MS/CLR term "object" and "managed" pointers, which corresponds to what LLVM's statepoint doc http://llvm.org/docs/Statepoints.html#base-derived-pointers (and Philip who wrote it) defines as "base" and "derived" pointers respectively.

Philip's response asks " the distinction between a 'generic managed pointer' and a 'managed pointer which happens to point outside the gc heap' is purely an optimization right?", and the answer to that is yes, but I just want to make it clear that that's NOT the distinction that Andy and Swaroop are talking about, and I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the type system doesn't need different types there.

-Joseph