[llvm-dev] RFC: alloca -- specify address space for allocation

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 28 02:01:25 PDT 2015

I completely agree with David and Philip here.

I think for the use case you are outlining, an addrspacecast is the correct
IR model -- you're specifically saying that it is OK in this case to turn a
pointer from addrspace 0 into one for addrspace N because N is your
"managed pointer" set that can be *either* a GC-pointer or a
non-GC-pointer. You might need N to be a distinct address space from the
one used for GC-pointers and to have similar casts emitted by the frontend.
What the FE is saying is that this is an *acceptable* transition of
addrspace, because your language and runtime semantics have provided for
it. I think the proper way to say that is with a cast.

I want to re-iterate though that there might be very reasonable uses for an
addrspace alloca to handle very different use cases such as modeling
different memory hierarchies. Those use cases have only been tangentially
discussed, so I don't feel like I have enough context to really comment on
them in any detail, and that entire discussion should probably be had on a
separate thread.